Veganism, what does it mean why you should at least try it once!

If you're a millennial, chances are you've heard of Veganism and probably have a rough idea of it. Vegan culture has been a very prominent and popular topic of discussion in the world of nutrition and skincare for the past couple of years, you also must've heard a lot of influencers talk about it. A good chunk of people are opting for it these days seeing its benefits and results and here's why you should get a taste of it, quite literally! 


What does being a vegan mean? Being a vegan is to understand and stand up against animal cruelty, to know that animals are not meant to be used as ingredients in our lifestyle. So, by being a vegan you will be completely avoiding the use of animals and animal byproducts as well as anything that involves animal testing on them. If you've watched friends you might recollect Phoebe being a vegan, she'd completely avoid eating meat and dairy products and she also would detest using animal byproducts like leather & fur.


When you first start researching and learning about veganism, It can be confusing to differentiate between Veganism, Vegetarianism, and Plant-based. So, to put it in simple words and save you a little time, Veganism is to completely avoid animal and animal byproducts, Vegetarianism has exceptions like consumption of dairy and dairy products and Plant-based is just what it sounds like, the inclusion of more veggies and reducing the consumption of processed foods in your diets. 

Veganism is a little harder than being a vegetarian or plant-based because dairy is an integral part of our lives since childhood. We've been entitled to believe that milk makes our bones stronger, paneer has got a lot of protein, dahi is a probiotic something? It might have been true and healthy when back in the 80s it was organically obtained by our grandparents for them and their kids through the cattle they personally fed and took care of. It's all just a facade now! All these facts are being turned down by nutritionists and activists with proven data and heavy research. There are many downsides to consuming dairy and meat. Some of them being Cardiovascular Diseases, Diabetes, High amounts of Saturated Fat And Cholesterol, Bowel Cancer, Extremely Hard To Digest Due to the drugs injected into the animals, Frantic Cow Diseases, Alzheimer’s Disease, Causes Constipation just to name a few.


I'm not trying to scare anyone away, although this all is true. I know it's a little sad to hear, it was for me too, because I do love me a good burger once in a while. It was hard being a vegan for a while for me. I started practicing it because I saw an influencer online talking about how cutting out dairy causes no acne and makes skin glowy so I was really just doing it for my skin without any knowledge whatsoever. This was long ago and I eventually gave up because I missed eating meat. You might not notice but dairy is surprisingly used in a lot of processed foods and food products in forms like milk powder etc. Later on when I slowly started discovering the roots of veganism and why it is practiced, when I came across videos and articles about how this all is produced and what animals are out through, I slowly started to outgrow these foods. It'll most likely and easily happen to you if you're an empath (TW if you're going to look up these things, they're cruel with animals).

I do not consume meat anymore because I grew apart from it, I'm not a vegan either because I've been in recovery from an eating disorder so I do consume a coffee once in a while but that's it. I have switched to a plant-based way of eating and I think I'm comfortable with it as of now. Here's the thing, please don't force yourself and your body to go through a huge change. If you consume meat and dairy a lot, try to slow down and then cut it off. You'll end up craving it later on if you totally cut it out all at once. So take it slow if you're planning for this to be a lifestyle change. And here's why you should consider it to be a lifestyle change- It'll be overall healthy for you, some scientific-ish benefits are A vegan diet is richer in certain nutrients, it appears to lower blood sugar levels and improves kidney functions, it may protect against certain cancers, lower risks of heart diseases, etc. I'll link some pros and cons down below towards the end.

Some things that I noticed for myself were healthier and glowy skin, clearer thought process (I have also been practicing meditation and it does benefit you spiritually, I'm was the last person to believe that but I can't deny the truth and results), I have been relatively healthier and less lazy, happier and relatively more positive throughout. So if you're someone that is seeking any of these things in your life, give it a thought!

I have also noticed a lot of stupid rumors about Veganism, A major one being that you don't get enough nutrition. Hear me out for a sec, I personally think those are just excuses because it's not all that difficult and you won't even notice it after a while. Take a look at these... 


Please see a nutritionist if your hair starts falling out or you see your nails getting brittle, you're definitely doing it wrong in that case. Also, please avoid making huge changes in your diet and eating habits, especially if you're recovering from any illnesses, etc. Listen to your body and its needs. This whole practice is supposed to be healthy and beneficial for you, make sure you educate yourself well before making any switches.

Lastly, here are some references, documentaries, and people that helped me learn about Veganism, Animal cruelty and gave me a heads up on why meat consumption is bad. Also, some influencers that share the most exceptional vegan-plantbased recipes! All the best if you're considering going Vegan! I'm happy for you & Thank you :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The transgender communities of South India, Jogtins and Jogappas.

A list of Comforting Movies & Series to help you calm if you're feeling overwhelmed!

A guide to build an Indo-western capsule wardrobe